What is the KRRA?
Kingston Road Runners Association
The Heart of Kingston’s Running Community
The Kingston Road Runners Association (KRRA) is the original running club in the Kingston area, continually active since 1981. It has a constitution, elected board of directors and an active membership base. All our activities are managed by volunteers, both runners and non-runners.
KRRA’s main objective is to “encourage, foster, assist and promote middle and long distance running as a competitive and recreational sport, and as an activity which facilitates fun, fitness, and health”. One of our challenges is that unlike other sports such as soccer or hockey, we don’t have an easily identifiable home base which can facilitate relationships. Running is essentially an individual sport – you have to manage your individual schedule to put in the kilometers. It also has a social side – time a time to be with others to enjoy a run, a race, and catch up on news, maintaining connections through the adventures and changes in life. KRRA works hard to help with those connections, by providing information through our website and various web-based tools, like the messageboard, social media, and online race results. We hope to keep you up to date on upcoming workouts, training groups and long Sunday runs, as well as our races and other races. We believe that through running, both individually and with others, we help create a happier and healthier community.
KRRA co-ordinates a series of road and trail races each calendar year, known as the Race Series – made up of safe, competitive events of varying distances and in different locations, to provide a focus for training and improvement. In 2012, the Race Series attracted 1,773 finishers in nine events (an increase of 3%) throughout the calendar year. Members and non-members participated; members as of July 1, were eligible for recognition and awards at the KRRA Annual General Meeting, held on November 29, 2012.
All KRRA events provide awards to the fastest three men and women as well as medals for top three male and female finishers in each age category. The age categories are: 19 and under; 20-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-59; 60-69 and 70 plus.
The KRRA sponsors the following annual events:
- Resolution Run – 8 km race held on the Sunday closest to New Year’s Day
- Twosome Run – 5 km race held in mid February
- Limestone Race Weekend Half Marathon and 5 km Race – late April/early May
- Limestone Mile – Canada Day, July 1st
- Anniversary Run – first Sunday in November.
In addition, there are other events included in the Race Series. These events include:
- Howe Island Hustle 8km – mid May
- Beat Beethoven 8km – first Sunday in June
- Wooly Bully 5k & 10k – third Sunday in August
- Glen Tay Block Race – last Thursday Night in August
- Fort Henry XC 5k (a trail run) – mid September.
The KRRA also helps to sponsor other events in the Kingston area. For full details, see our Who We Support page. We welcome members to the KRRA and this is a great bargain for both individuals and families. The annual individual membership, from January to December each calendar year is only $20.00 and a family membership is $30.00.
- Members receive a $10 discount on each registration for the KRRA events.
- KRRA members also receive a 10% discount on running shoes, products and equipment at Runners’ Choice, our Title Sponsor, 56 Brock Street, Kingston.
- Members are eligible for the Series Awards, based upon their standings in their best six results of the KRRA Series events. To be eligible for series points, membership registration must be received by July 1, 2013.
- Members contribute to the energy of the Association and can participate as volunteers at events, projects and on the Board.
- Finally, membership participation in KRRA events keeps our costs for liability insurance lower, as the Association pays decreased premiums with more members participating in our events. See the application for membership on our website.
Introducing the KRRA Board:
The Constitution provides for up to sixteen members on the Board. There are three Executive positions, as well as special roles such as Newsletter Editor, Webmaster and Archivist.
Our 2018 Board of Directors is:
- Lana Saunders – President
- Ed Brand – Past President
- Shirley Myers – Membership & Secretary
- Tammy Farrar – Treasurer
- Al Cantlay – Coach
- Peter Coughlin – Archivist
- Maxime Feuillat – Statistician
- PJ Marshall – Member-at-large
- Tara Burgraff – Member-at-large
- Karen Millson – Member-at-large
- Pam Mundell – Member-at-large
- Clay Patterson – Member-at-large
- Janet Shepherd – Member-at-large
If you would like to read meeting minutes from any of the 10 board meetings each year, .
Finally, if you would like to volunteer with the KRRA, please get in touch with our Volunteer Coordinator – we will be glad to hear from you.