KRRA – Howe Island 8K Hustle
Date(s) - Saturday, May 13, 2017
10:00 am - 12:30 pm
The Howe Island Hustle, as it has been affectionately named, is the first of three Island races known as the “tri-Island” series. In addition to earning points toward the KRRA race series, participants of the Hustle are also eligible for a “tri-Island” finisher medal if they complete all three Island races. The Wolfe Island Classic 5k and the Amherst Island Wooly Bully 10k complement the Hustle to form the “tri-Island” series. Finisher medals will be awarded after the third Island race, the Wooly Bully 10k.
The Event consists of the 8K run for all ages and a Kids 1-Mile Race for 12 and under. Howe Island has fairly flat topography and vehicular traffic is nearly non-existent so this race is great for newcomers to the sport as well as seasoned runners. The Howe Island community is very excited to have this event take place on their Island and are pulling out all the stops to ensure the Hustle will be enjoyable for everyone who attends.
The Howe Island Hustle Race event is located on Howe Island which is 15 minutes from Kingston east on Hwy 2 or 10 minutes south from Hwy 401 off exit 632, taking 16 south (aka Joyceville Rd) to the island’s main ferry.
Howe Island is located where Lake Ontario meets the St. Lawrence River. Smaller than Wolfe Island, Howe Island is relatively flat but surprisingly large to newcomers. The Race event’s activities are on the south shore at St. Philomena’s Parish Hall, 1733 Howe Island Drive, Howe Island ON. Registration, Hustle 8K start and finish, awards and barbeque all take place at this location.
Cost for the 8K Hustle registration is:
- $30 for KRRA members for the 8K race.
- $40 for non-members
- $10 KRRA membership discount applies until Thursday May 11th, 2017.
- ADD $5 to Race Day registrations.
- The Kids 1 Mile Race is $5.
There are a few ways you can register for the Howe Island Hustle:
- Register online at HoweIslandHustle8k
- Click here to download, print, complete hard copy form.
- Mail completed registration to: KRRA, PO Box 1412, Kingston, ON K7L 5C6 or Drop off at Runners’ Choice, 56 Brock St.
- 9:30am arrive by Howe Island Ferry
- 10:00am pick up race kit
- 10:30am Kids 1-Mile Race
- 11:00am 8K Hustle
- 12 noon Awards ceremony and barbeque
Directions to Event
- Travel east on Hwy 2 from downtown Kingston
- Turn right onto Howe Island Ferry Road and continue roughly 1.3k until you reach the Ferry dock
- Once disembarking the Ferry continue straight (south) on Howe Island Drive
- Race site is approximately 9k from Ferry. 1733 Howe Island Drive
- Parking is available on the mainland prior to embarking and carpooling is recommended.
- There is a $6.00 vehicle fee for the Ferry..
- There is a $6.00 fee for taking the Howe Island Ferry, so parking and carpooling is recommended.
- Timing will be done by runningbydesign.com
- Draw Prizes – All registrants and volunteers are eligible for Draw Prizes
- A lunch barbeque will be available during and after the awards ceremony.
- VOLUNTEERS and sponsors are needed. If you would like to participate in this event, please contact Director by
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 men and women overall as well as top 3 male and female finishers in the following age categories:
19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- Both races are “out-n-back” heading south on Howe Island Drive.
- The start and finish are at the Howe Island Parish Hall
- The route will take runners along the south shore of beautiful Howe Island, providing a beautiful view of the St. Lawrence River.
Results and photo links
- 2017 – Kids 1-mile | Individuals Overall | Individuals Age Category
- 2016 – Kids 1-mile | Individuals Overall | Individuals Age Category | Report | Photos